I have produced several photography seminars, workshops, tours and related events over the past several years.
I have been an event co-leader at the first major NatureScapes.Net photo event, held in 2008 at Bosque del Apache, New Mexico. I’ve also been an event co-leader with acclaimed Alberta photographers Samantha Chrysanthou & Darwin Wiggett, including our 2010 Creative Expression Masterclass.
Other events I have co-lead include working with Markéta Kalvachová and Tim Vollmer in Iceland; Brian Merry for our 2013 Landscape Photography Masterclass; Peter Carroll in our Fall 2014 Photography Masterclass; Olivier Du Tré for our Winter 2014-5 Monochrome Masterclass; and Bill Peters in a series of printing workshops. On a smaller scale, I’ve done one-on-one photo guiding in locations around the Canadian Rockies.
Read about past events listed below, including links to photo results from participants. If you see an interesting event that I’ve done before but isn’t on my list of current events, or if you have other questions, feel free to contact me for information. I may be working on something new.
- Winter 2014-5 Monochrome Masterclass — Digital Capture, Develop & Print, January 15 – 19, 2015. This is a special, intensive masterclass dedicated to black-and-white photography and printing. Join me along with my co-instructors: award-winning photographer Olivier Du Tré and master printer Costas Costoulas of Resolve Photo. If you’d like to improve your mastery of digital B&W photography and printing, this event is for you! We have the combination of location, learning format and instructors to give your digital B&W print work a great kickstart in 2015.
- Winter 2014-5 Canadian Rockies Photography Tour, January 24 – 28, 2015: Winter is a spectacular time to visit the Canadian Rockies, and for the first time this coming winter of 2014-5 I’m presenting a winter photo tour based at Aurum Lodge. Frozen Abraham Lake with its patterns of bubbles and cracks will be a marquee subject, but we’ll also experience and photograph many other locations and subjects around David Thompson Country and the Icefields Parkway. Want to join a small group exploration of winter through the lens?
- Advanced Colour Printing Workshop, November 28 – 29, 2014: I partnered once more with master photographer and printer Bill Peters, to present a printing workshop sponsored by The Camera Store. In one and a half days, Bill and I gave participants a crash course on how to improve their photographic printing, presenting workflow and techniques for emotional quality and style of images that sing from the page.
- Fall 2014 Canadian Rockies Photography Tour, September 30 – October 5, 2014: Fall is an ever-popular time to visit the Rockies. The weather patterns have been volatile in recent years, but we can plan for locations including rivers, lakes, canyons, mountains, plains, weather and fall foliage. Perhaps some wildlife, with luck. We will visit locations that are both iconic and off the beaten path, working in David Thompson Country and along the Icefields Parkway.
- Fall 2014 Photography Masterclass — Storytelling In the Cypress Hills, September 5 – 10, 2014: As a continuation of the masterclass series I began in 2010, this coming Fall I’m excited to present a new workshop with Peter Carroll. We will take a small group of photography artists through an intensive experience. It will include instruction on creating strong photographs and how to approach visual storytelling, blended with field photography exercises to apply the lessons introduced in the seminars. This event is suitable for intermediate & above photographers, who want to move beyond gear or software technique to more creative expression. Sold out!
- Summer 2014 Photo Tour — Icelandic Summer Light, June 14 – 26, 2014: This special photo tour continues my partner series. Teaming up with Iceland-based Tim Vollmer, we will take a small group on 12 days of photography in fantastic sites across Western and Southern Iceland. Rugged volcanic terrain, glaciers and waterfalls, weather patterns, geothermal areas, country churches and houses, coastal towns… we will make the best of every opportunity. And through it all will be the summer light — ~21 hours of daylight each day, and the rest is twilight!
- Coal Mines, Canyons and the Canadian Rockies — HDR Photography Workshop, May 29 – June 1, 2014: This spring, I will be a guest instructor at an oopoomoo workshop put on by Samantha Chrysanthou and Darwin Wiggett. Participants will receive hands-on instruction in using High Dynamic Range (HDR) techniques to deal with challenging lighting situations, with lots of field photography in natural settings as well as the historical Brazeau Collieries Mine site in Nordegg, Alberta. See my workshop blog post and “behind the scene” case study post for examples of the technique and subject matter.
- Printing Basics Seminar, Saturday, December 7, 2013: This seminar was presented for anyone thinking about buying a photo quality printer, or wondering about how to make really good prints. Master printer Bill Peters and I gave an introduction to the ten keys to good digital prints, with lots of examples and discussion along the way. Sponsored by The Camera Store. This was a popular event, and we do plan to run it again!
- The Print Experience: Improving Your Digital Prints, Saturday, October 26, 2013: Many photographers have struggled with or not yet discovered how to make dynamic digital photo prints. This intensive, hands-on event combined a full-day seminar with several hours of 1-on-1 work with each participant. Aimed at photographers with a specific printing goal (such as a project submission or exhibition), the event provided a complete crash-course on digital inkjet printing. Plus each participant got large format prints of their own images produced on a state-of-the-art Canon iPF9400 large format printer! Sponsored by the Canon Image Square of Calgary.
- Advanced Colour Printing Workshop, Saturday, November 9, 2013: This seminar was aimed at photographers who want to take their colour digital printing to the next level. Along with co-presenter Bill Peters, I introduced the group to a comprehensive workflow for making great inkjet prints. We then made a quick application of the workflow to one image from each participant, and created a large format print as a take-away. Sponsored by The Camera Store.
- Advanced Black and White Printing Workshop, Saturday, November 16, 2013: A variation of the advanced colour printing workshop, this seminar was designed for photographers who want to make black and white prints that really sing. Together with my co-lead Bill Peters, I introduced the group to a full workflow for making great B&W inkjet prints. We then made a quick application of the workflow to one image from each participant, and created large format prints as take-aways. Sponsored by The Camera Store.
- Fall 2013 Photo Tour, September 14 – 19, 2013: Fall is a popular time to visit the Rockies, and our group had a great time in this year’s Fall Photo Tour! As happened last year, the season was unseasonably warm and green well into September. But we made full use of the early autumn lighting, slow changing colours, high water levels, and atmospheric conditions created by some rainy weather. Click the link to read about the results…
- Summer 2013 Photo Tour — Icelandic Summer Light, July 15 – 24, 2013: This special photo tour was the second in my new partner series! Teaming up with Iceland-based Markéta Kalvachová, we took a small group on 10 days of photography in fantastic sites across Western and Southern Iceland. The weather hit us with just about everything an Iceland summer can deliver, and we took every advantage of the conditions and light to make an array of great photographs in this stunning country. Click the link to read about it.
- Summer 2013 Landscape Photography Masterclass, June 5 – 11, 2013: This masterclass event was the first in my new partner series. Along with professional photographer Brian Merry, we produced a special photography and learning experience in the summer of the Canadian Rockies. We brought the group to a series of amazing photo locations in the iconic Rockies. But more importantly, we presented a series of seminar topics and field exercises designed to improve each participant’s creativity behind the lens. Based on the feedback, the event was very intense, but delivered the experiences that everyone was hoping and expecting!
- Fall 2012 Photo Tour, September 15 – 20, 2012: Fall this year was unseasonably warm but still brought some brilliant color, changing weather conditions, and — as always — shorter days in the field. 🙂 The group enjoyed several spectacular days in David Thompson Country (in the front ranges of the Canadian Rockies). Plus a special bonus of back-to-back day trips to stunning Lake O’Hara interleaved with visits to Moraine Lake and other locations surrounding Lake Louise. Click the link to read about the fall tour and see some sample images from the group!
- Spring 2012 Photo Tour, May 11 – 15, 2012: Our first tour of 2012 at Aurum Lodge ran in mid-May. Spring came on time, along with a bit of good weather timed just right for the tour. We had fresh blooms, wildlife and amazing scenery to enjoy and photograph. We also had access to a special location, the historical Brazeau Collieries mine site. Click the link to read about this tour, including some image results.
- Light Matters Masterclass: Creative Expression, November 2 – 6, 2011. This was a unique and (based on participant feedback) successful event. Working together with acclaimed photographers Samantha Chrysanthou and Darwin Wiggett, we gave participants an intensive workshop experience covering topics in the art, craft, and profession of photography combined with field work. The goal was to help everyone improve their photography by improving their ability to see and create; and we did just that.
- Fall 2011 Photo Tour, September 26 – October 1, 2011. During this tour, the group took advantage of great photo opportunities, including a fantastic day-trip to Lake O’Hara. A great time was had by all! Click the link to read about this tour, including some image results.
- Summer 2011 Photo Tour, August 19 – 22, 2011. During this unique event, experienced photo guides Samantha Chrysanthou & Darwin Wiggett, Leslie & Mark Degner, Alan Ernst and me took a small group of photographers to locations around Aurum Lodge. Highlights included special full-day access to the abandoned Brazeau Collieries mine site in Nordegg, and to the Athabasca Glacier ice-walk at the Columbia Icefields. It was a cracking good event! Click the link to read about this tour, including some image results.
- Spring 2011 Photo Tour, May 15 – 19, 2011. Based at Aurum Lodge, our small group enjoyed a fun experience in the Rockies, including landscapes, wildlife and spring conditions. Click the link to read about this tour, including some image results.
- Fall 2010 Photo Tour, September 28 – October 3, 2010. This small group enjoyed an excellent fall photo experience based at Aurum Lodge. Click the link to read about this tour, including some image results.