Skip to content

Can the prairie be extreme?

May 8, 2010
Sunrise on the Rings Ruts & Remnants Trail

Sunrise on the Rings Ruts & Remnants Trail in Saskatchewan Landing Provincial Park

When starting something new like a blog, something involving content that will accumulate over time in the public eye, it’s impossible to avoid that opening challenge — what to say first? I’m starting this blog to talk mainly about photography. While I will probably touch on other subjects that interest me, as well, I guess I should stay on topic at the beginning. Start as you mean to go on, and all that.

So here’s a question. Can the prairie be extreme? Darwin Wiggett, Samantha Chrysanthou and Branimir Gjetvaj certainly think so. They have teamed up to run a photo tour next month called Extreme Saskatchewan. The tour is described by both Darwin and Sam, and it struck me right away as “I gotta go!”

This trio of instructors will introduce a small group to early summer (or is it late spring?) in southwest Saskatchewan. While much of my landscape portfolio is currently comprised of mountain scenes and other traditional “grand vistas”, I have lived in prairie places far too long to be unaware of the majesty of big sky, sweeping fields and grasslands, and the overwhelming sense of space. I’m fortunate to be one of the attendees on this tour, and I’m very much looking forward to tackling the prairie.

The sun rises early across the flatlands, and that’s the other reason this tour came by its moniker. On the full photography days, we’re going to be up at oh-dark-thirty so we can get out on location for sunrise. And then of course shoot until some time after sundown. Yep, that’s a wee bit extreme!

What’s your extreme photo pursuit? What inspires you to run around on half a night’s sleep, camera in hand?

7 Comments leave one →
  1. May 8, 2010 19:07

Congrats on the new blog! Looking forward to lots of cool info in upcoming posts. Be aware of how much work and time your gonna need in this new venture!

Darwin

2. May 8, 2010 19:49

Hey, welcome fellow blogger! Thanks for your thoughts on going extreme on the prairie…it’s gonna be craaazy. We’re happy to have you onboard.

A tip: be better at spelling and grammar than Dar! He is responsible for a lot of door prizes being given away at our seminars 🙂

3. May 9, 2010 15:09

Thanks Sam & Darwin. I said on another site that starting this is probably like buying a house — work to get it, and then more work to keep it going. 🙂 Hope to have fun with it, though.

Sam, I’ll watch out. Don’t want to be givin’ out any door prizes at teh seminarz!

4. May 9, 2010 18:13

Congrats on the blog and new site Royce.

With the longer days upon us, it certainly does get harder getting up in the morning!

5. May 11, 2010 14:12

Hi Royce,

Have fun blogging!

And have fun in Sask as well. We might even cross paths. I’ve been doing the same spring equinox trip since 2006 in and around the same area. This year will be no different – just don’t know yet if I’m starting or ending my trip on Father’s Day. There is a new moon on the 12th and a full moon on the 26th so it does not matter too much that way. That red truck pano I had over to your house once was taken in that area. You will have a blast.

And I’m still up for some back country test runs when our calendars match.

Cheers, Scott

6. May 11, 2010 21:32

Mark: And me being naturally more of a night owl… doh! 🙂

Scott: Indeed, we will get something going with the backpacks once the final blast of winter is truly done with. 🙂 Your red truck pano is one of the scenes that inspires me to get to grips with the prairie…

7. David permalink
    May 13, 2010 16:29

Royce, I am really anticipating an interesting take on prairie landscapes from you.

I have no apparent art skills, except as a consumer of the same. So I do look forward to your commentary on this blog. I am interested in the approach you will be/ are following in your picture composition/ picture manipulation to achieve a desired result.

Happy days!